At Hershey Entertainment & Resorts, every member of our team goes above and beyond to deliver the ultimate experience — one that will create lasting memories for our guests, and foster success for our employees, company and community.
The Director of Engineering is responsible for directing and overseeing the overall operation of the maintenance department and the appearance and working order of Hershey Lodge. This role will additionally provide leadership and direct support to a team of full-time maintenance staff. This position must be willing to respond to emergencies, and work with Construction Services on special remodeling projects or capital expenditure needs. This position requires overall maintenance knowledge and trouble shooting ability with skills in painting, carpentry, electrical, plumbing, HVAC and tool usage.
This position reports to the General Manager at Hershey Lodge
About Hershey Lodge
Warm, welcoming and distinctly Hershey, Hershey Lodge is a full-service resort which offers 665 guest rooms and 100,000 square feet of function space including three ballrooms and 35 meeting rooms. The Hershey Lodge offers 6 dining options including Hershey Grill, The Forebay, The Bear’s Den, Fire & Grain, Cocoa Beanery & Cocoa Cabana, located inside Hershey’s Water Works, an exclusive indoor pool complex which includes 30,000 square feet of interactive water features.
- Direct and oversee the functionality and safety of Hershey Lodge facilities including but not limited to: physical buildings, public areas, guest rooms, kitchens & restaurants, Hershey’s Water Works at Hershey Lodge, convention center, machinery, vehicles & exterior grounds.
- Plan, organize, and direct maintenance activities concerned with the maintenance of structures, facilities and systems.
- Interprets company policies to workers and enforces safety regulations.
- Suggests changes in working conditions and use of equipment to increase efficiency of work crew.
- Interview, train, schedule & supervise two Assistant Directors, Engineering Administrative Assistant and a union staff consisting of 25 team members.
- Monitor and develop team member performance to include but not limited to, providing supervising and professional development, conducting evaluations and delivering recognition and reward.
- Prepare and Maintain labor, utility & expense budgets in line with annual budgeted expectations.
- Requisition supplies, tools and materials to complete construction projects.
- Identify capital needs for the property and assist with capital planning
- Prepare and Maintain capital budgets & directing capital & operational projects.
- Adhere to all Federal & State laws, codes & regulations and ensuring compliance. Active in safety awareness & programs.
- Participate in Manager on Duty Program.
- Must be 18 years of age or older
- Minimum of 8 years of related experience in construction/maintenance, facility management ideally within a hotel or building management environment.
- Minimum of 5 years of supervisory experience.
- Must have a valid Drivers' License
- Previous hotel construction/maintenance experience preferred.
- Associate’s Degree in Engineering/Facility Management preferred.
- Ability to obtain and/or maintain any government related licenses, certificates or permits.
- Must have a thorough knowledge of all types of mechanical equipment such as chillers, boilers, water softeners, and refrigeration equipment.
- Must have thorough knowledge of plumbing and electrical systems, maintenance of records of power, water and fuel consumption.
- Must have experience in office procedures, ordering materials, securing bids and of city codes and other applicable building laws, building construction, etc.
- Post-Employment - Forklift Certification, High Reach Certification, Department of Agriculture Limited Ride Inspector
- Skilled in the use of Microsoft Office applications, including Excel and Word.
- Proven leadership skills, ability to train, coach and motivate employees.
- Requires good communication skills, both verbal and written.
- Budgetary analysis capabilities required.
- Experience working with Unions preferred.
Physical Demands & Working Conditions:
- While performing the duties of this job, the employee is required to:
- Climbing Ladders Frequent (34-66%)
- Reaching Forward Occasional (<33%)
- Climbing Stairs Frequent (34-66%) (25ft maximum height)
- Lifting Frequent (34-66%) (75lbs maximum weight)
- Reaching Overhead Frequent (34-66%)
- Finger Dexterity Frequent (34-66%)
- Hand/Eye Coordination Frequent (34-66%)
- Stooping Frequent (34-66%)
- Bending Frequent (34-66%)
- Sitting Occasional (<33%)
- Standing Frequent (34-66%)
- Walking Constant (>67%)
- This job requires a good sense of vision (either corrected or uncorrected). Visual ability to operate moving equipment such as a car, truck, golf carts, etc.
- This job requires the visual ability to view work at distances of approximately 5 feet (operation and adjustment of machinery).
- This job requires the visual ability to perform detailed work at close distances (computer screens, accounting ledgers, using measurement devices).
- This job regularly requires verbal communication of detailed information to others either by phone or in person.
- Substantial movements (motions) of the wrists, hands, and/or fingers (Repetitive motion).
- The position is subject to atmospheric conditions. One or more of the following conditions that affect the respiratory system of the skin: fumes, odors, dust, mists, gases, or poor ventilation.
- The position is frequently in close quarters, crawl spaces, shafts, man holes, small enclosed rooms, small sewage and line pipes, and other areas that could cause claustrophobia.
- The position is subject to hazards. Includes a variety of physical conditions, such as proximity to moving mechanical parts, moving vehicles, electrical current, working on scaffolding and high places, exposure to high heat or exposure to chemicals.
- The position is subject to noise. There is sufficient noise to cause the worker to shout in order to be heard above ambient noise level.
- The position is subject to extreme heat. Temperatures above 100° for periods of more than one hour. Consideration should be given to the effect of other environmental conditions, such as wind and humidity.
- The position is subject to extreme cold. Temperatures typically below 32° for periods of more than one hour. Consideration should be given to the effect of other environmental conditions, such as wind and humidity.
- The position is subject to both environmental conditions. Activities occur inside and outside.
- The position is subject to outside environmental conditions. No effective protection from the weather.
- The position is subject to environmental conditions. Protection from weather conditions but not necessarily from temperature changes.
Due to the operational nature of the hospitality industry, this role may be required to work evenings, weekends and/or holidays in order to reflect the business needs of Hershey Lodge
Nothing in this job description restricts management’s right to assign or reassign duties and responsibilities to this job at any time.
Hershey Entertainment & Resorts is an Equal Opportunity Employer