"For internal applicants, the internal posting period for this position is 9/21/2017 through 9/28/2017."
This is the entry level position in a professional kitchen. This culinarian should have general knowledge, understanding and application of knife skills and cooking techniques. The General Cook must possess a basic understanding of a ala carte setting as well as production. The General Cook needs to possess a positive attitude with a professional appearance and demeanor.
- Produce consistent food projects while following recipes with reduced supervision and direction from the chef's, while maintaining quality standards.
- Exhibits an advanced knowledge, understanding and application of knife skills and cooking techniques.
- Identify and safely use all kitchen equipment.
- Properly label, date and rotate all products to ensure safe keeping and sanitation.
- Maintain an organized, clean and sanitary/work area in accordance with Health Department/ ServSafe standards.
- Assist, train and guide culinary interns and general cooks in daily tasks.
- Able to work multiple stations in your designated area, on your designated shift to include but not limited to Garde Manager, A la Carte Hot Line, Banquets, etc.
- Basic understanding and knowledge of inventory control, requisitions, and par levels.
- Performs other job related duties as required, to include nightly food requisitions from the butcher/storeroom and prep lists, etc.
- Must be 18 years of age or older
- Minimum of 2 years culinary experience OR a certificate or degree from a Culinary Institution.
- High school diploma or equivalent
- Knowledgeable of kitchen equipment, good knife skills, and possess a full tool kit.
- Knowledgeable of weights and measures, as well as basic math applications.
- Must be able to assist, train and direct culinary interns and general cooks in daily tasks
- Proficient in speaking, reading, and writing in English.
- Skilled with a minimum of two cuisines. Examples may include but not limited to Asian, Italian, Classical, New American, and Mexican.
- Complete a mystery basket cooking test to include 3 courses in 4 hours.
- Must obtain ServSafe certification.
Physical Demands & Working Condition
- While performing the duties of this job, the employee is required to:
- Reaching Forward Constant (>67%)
- Lifting Frequent (34-66%) (50lbs maximum weight)
- Reaching Overhead Occasional (<33%)
- Finger Dexterity Constant (>67%)
- Hand/Eye Coordination Constant (>67%)
- Stooping Occasional (<33%)
- Bending Occasional (<33%)
- Standing Constant (>67%)
- Walking Frequent (34-66%)
- Additional physical requirements include repetitive elbow motions for chopping, repetitive write motions for stirring and chopping.
- Must have ability of taste buds to distinguish between and among flavors, spices, temperature, and mouth feel (smoothness, pungency, etc.) of food, and beverage.
- Must have ability of olfactory nerves to distinguish between and among odors and scents as to their appeal and level of intensity.
- Must be able to work in extreme temperatures.
- This is a union position and the work schedule will be based on union seniority. Candidates must be able to meet scheduled requirements, which will most likely require evening and weekend hours.
- Nothing in this job description restricts management’s right to assign or reassign duties and responsibilities to this job at any time.
Hershey Entertainment & Resorts is an Equal Opportunity Employer