An Internship in Culinary at The Hotel Hershey is focused on developing a strong operational capability in the student. Our students will work in the various kitchens, be coached by Sous Chefs and senior line staff and be challenged to execute at a professional production level. The Culinary Intern is expected to bring a passion and focus on learning, maintain a professional demeanor and be committed to the full term of the Intern/Externship.
Located in Hershey, Pennsylvania and part of Hershey Entertainment & Resorts, The Hotel Hershey is a 276 guest rooms, including 48 cottages, as well as 25,000 square feet of meeting and function space. The 1930's hotel is a recipient of both the Forbes Four-Star Award and the AAA Four-Diamond Award. Four kitchens serve three full service restaurants, pool café, coffee shop and banquet operations.
This position is available beginning in May 2018
Housing is available for the internship position.
- Maintain a clean and organized work area using ServSafe training and State Food Safety regulations.
- Demonstrate safe handling of tools, knives and equipment in carrying out assigned tasks.
- Exhibit safe food handling practices.
- Exhibit basic knowledge and understanding of cooking techniques; strive to advance knowledge and skills.
- Follow verbal direction and written recipes quickly and accurately; asking appropriate questions for clarification.
- Develop proficiency in operating assigned stations.
- Performs all job related duties as required.
- Must be at least 18 years of age or older
- Must be currently enrolled in Culinary School to be eligible
- Access to reliable transportation must be available.
- Must have a full knife kit.
- Students must wear proper school uniform for work, if uniforms are provided by the school.
- Must be proficient in speaking, reading and writing in English
- Must demonstrate fundamental culinary knowledge and a passion for the craft
- Must be knowledgeable of weights, measures and math used in kitchen applications
- Ability to work in a fast-paced, high volume environment
- ServSafe certification preferred
Physical Demands and Working Conditions:
- While performing the duties of this job, the employee is required to:
- Reaching Forward Constant (>67%)
- Lifting Frequent (34-66%) (50lbs maximum weight)
- Reaching Overhead Occasional (<33%)
- Finger Dexterity Constant (>67%)
- Hand/Eye Coordination Constant (>67%)
- Stooping Occasional (<33%)
- Bending Occasional (<33%)
- Standing Constant (>67%)
- Walking Frequent (34-66%)
- Additional physical requirements include repetitive elbow motions for chopping, repetitive write motions for stirring and chopping.
- Must have ability of taste buds to distinguish between and among flavors, spices, temperature, and mouth feel (smoothness, pungency, etc.) of food, and beverage.
- Must have ability of olfactory nerves to distinguish between and among odors and scents as to their appeal and level of intensity.
- Must be able to work in extreme temperatures.
- This is a union position and the work schedule will be based on union seniority. Candidates must be able to meet scheduled requirements, which will most likely require evening and weekend hours.
Nothing in this job description restricts management’s right to assign or reassign duties and responsibilities to this job at any time.
Hershey Entertainment & Resorts is an Equal Opportunity Employer