"For Internal applicants, the Internal posting period for this position is 04/15/2019 through 04/22/2019."
This is an entry level position that will work in professional kitchens within the Hershey Country Club, Hershey Lodge, and/or The Hotel Hershey, all of which include production and distinctive a la carte restaurants run by renowned chefs. This role is part of a professional apprenticeship program requiring a commitment of 2 years and a total of 4,000 hours of work in addition to the academic requirements.
This culinarian should have general knowledge, understanding and application of knife skills and cooking techniques. The Apprenticeship Cook must possess a basic understanding of an a la carte setting as well as production. The Apprenticeship Cook needs to possess a positive attitude with a professional appearance and demeanor, and be in good standing with the educational component of the Apprenticeship.
The pay rate for this position begins at $12.99 per hour, with the opportunity to move to $14.07 per hour based on the acquisition of increased skill and competence, as well as completion of 2,000 hours worked, as determined by the Executive Chef and Program Coordinator.
- Produce consistent food products while following recipes with limited supervision and direction from the chefs, while maintaining quality standards.
- Exhibits a basic knowledge, understanding and application of knife skills and cooking techniques.
- Identify and safely use all kitchen equipment.
- Properly label, date and rotate all products to ensure safe keeping and sanitation.
- Maintain an organized, clean and sanitary work area in accordance with the food safety authority [Department of Agriculture] applying ServSafe standards.
- Once trained, be able to work multiple stations in your designated area, on your designated shift to include but not limited to Garde Manger, A la Carte Hot Line, Banquets, etc.
- Basic understanding and knowledge of inventory control, requisitions, and par levels.
- Performs other job related duties as required, to include nightly food requisitions from the butcher/storeroom and prep lists, etc.
- Achieve proficiency in skills as outlined in the apprenticeship book and as directed by the chefs.
- Maintain a log book to support proficiency achievements
- Must be 18 years of age or older
- Minimum of 1 year culinary experience OR be a graduate of a high school Culinary Co-op program OR be a senior planning to graduate at the end of this current semester of a high school Culinary Co-op program.
- Must be able to enroll in the educational component of the Apprenticeship Program with Lebanon County Career & Technology Center.
- Knowledgeable of kitchen equipment and possess the basic kitchen tools (French, serrated and paring knifes, tongs, peeler, and steel).
- Knowledgeable of weights and measures, as well as basic math applications.
- Proficient in speaking, reading, and writing English.
- Must be in good standing with the Educational component of the Apprenticeship program.
- Must be an active student member of the American Culinary Federation (ACF) Harrisburg Chapter PA-181.
Physical Demands & Working Conditions
- While performing the duties of this job, the employee is required to:
- Reaching Forward Constant (>67%)
- Lifting Frequent (34-66%) (50lbs maximum weight)
- Reaching Overhead Occasional (<33%)
- Finger Dexterity Constant (>67%)
- Hand/Eye Coordination Constant (>67%)
- Stooping Occasional (<33%)
- Bending Occasional (<33%)
- Standing Constant (>67%)
- Walking Frequent (34-66%)
- Additional physical requirements include repetitive elbow motions for chopping, repetitive write motions for stirring and chopping.
- Must have ability of taste buds to distinguish between and among flavors, spices, temperature, and mouth feel (smoothness, pungency, etc.) of food, and beverage.
- Must have ability of olfactory nerves to distinguish between and among odors and scents as to their appeal and level of intensity.
- Must be able to work in extreme temperatures.
- Students will not be scheduled to work during the pre-arranged classroom hours.
- This is a union position and the work schedule will be based on union seniority. Candidates must be able to meet scheduled requirements, which will most likely require evening and weekend hours.
Nothing in this job description restricts management’s right to assign or reassign duties and responsibilities to this job at any time.
Hershey Entertainment & Resorts is an Equal Opportunity Employer