The Banquets Sous Chef is responsible for food quality and presentation within the banquet (primary) and restaurant (secondary) facilities at The Hershey Lodge. The ideal candidate will lead by example, upholding an environment of culinary excellence, and support teamwork in a fast-paced atmosphere. The Banquets Sous Chef will primarily work within the Banquet Operations of the culinary team and may be exposed to cross functional experiences overseeing any of our four full-service restaurants within the Hershey Lodge. This role will support a culinary team of 18 and report directly to the Banquet Executive Sous Chef.
About the Hershey Lodge:
The Hershey Lodge located in “The Sweetest Place on Earth”, Hershey, PA has been building a tradition of fine service and excellent accommodations for over 45 years. With 665 rooms and over 100,000 square feet of meeting room space, the Hershey Lodge is one of the largest convention facilities in Pennsylvania. In addition the Hershey Lodge operates four full-service restaurants with a combined 1.2 million covers. As a culinary team member with HE&R you will be inspired to grow within our organization and learn from some of the very best in the industry.
We are less than 2 hours from Philadelphia and Baltimore, and just a bit further from NYC and Washington DC. Hershey draws from and provides access to major metropolitan business and activity. Lancaster county and the greater South Central PA area is one of the richest farming areas in the world. The Hershey Lodge is part of Hershey Entertainment & Resorts, which owns & operates various properties including: The Hotel Hershey, Hershey Country Club, the Downtown Restaurant Group, Hersheypark Camping Resort and Hershey Entertainment Complex including Hersheypark, Hersheypark Stadium & Arena, Giant Center.
- Supervising food preparation, sanitation, and safety in the kitchens
- Participating in the interviewing, training, scheduling, and motivating of culinary and stewarding staff
- Menu development in collaboration with the Senior Chefs and costing of menus
- Recipe and plate presentation sheets for training and consistency
- Requisitioning supplies and partner with Purchasing to ensure quality product is on hand
- Maintaining appropriate food inventory levels and budgeted food cost
- Manage labor costs to budget
- Attending designated meetings
- Maintain equipment in good working order, submit regular service and repair requests
- Partner with the front of the house to achieve department goals
- Other duties as assigned
- Must be 18 years of age or older
- Must have a valid driver’s license
- Must have Minimum of five (5) years of experience in banquet and fine dining food preparation in a Hotel/Resort/Country Club and/or Upscale free standing restaurant.
- Minimum of two (2) years kitchen supervisory experience in a Hotel/Resort/Country Club and/or Upscale free standing restaurant OR Three (3) years working experience in a lead line cook role at Hotel Hershey or Hershey Lodge.
- Must have experience in high-volume a la carte and banquet venues.
- Technical Skills (and Training):
- Degree in culinary arts or formal culinary apprenticeship is highly preferred.
- Experience with menu development.
- Thorough knowledge of food handling and preparation techniques.
- Ability to prepare a variety of cuisines, using skill and creativity.
- Business & Leadership Skills:
- Must utilize a hands-on approach to training and developing culinary team members of all levels including line cooks, interns & kitchen steward staff.
- Ability to instill & enforce safety and sanitation standards within the kitchen environment.
- Experience working in a union environment is preferred though not required.
- Demonstrated team building experience and ability to promote an atmosphere of teamwork among staff.
- Ability to instill a calm, organized approach in all situations.
- Clear, concise written and verbal communication skills.
- Basic computer skills
- Excellent time management skills.
- Strong organizational skills.
- Exceptional detail and follow-up skills.
- Ability to obtain ServSafe Manager certification
- Must embody HE&R company values (Devoted to the Legacy, Selfless Spirit of Service, Team Focused, Respectful of Others)
- Physical requirements include considerable walking, standing, bending, reaching, lifting and carrying up to 50 lbs.; and working in extreme temperatures.
- Schedule will vary according to operating needs, but will include early mornings, late evenings, weekends, and holidays.
Nothing in this job description restricts management’s right to assign or reassign duties and responsibilities to this job at any time.
Hershey Entertainment & Resorts is an Equal Opportunity Employer