The banquet chef directs the work of kitchen banquet staff in order to accurately and effectively prepare all banquet and event food items.
Job Functions (Items marked with an asterisk are essential functions of this position):
- Prepare and produce menu items in the proper portions and amounts in accordance with banquet event orders (BEO).*
- Write, maintain, and update banquet menu specifications, recipes and pictures, and production forecasts.*
- Train and instruct cooks in the details of preparing menu items. Maintain the quality of food product and ensure consistency in banquet food preparation and presentation.*
- Supervise and lead banquet culinary staff. Hire, train, and evaluate staff in order to successfully complete all banquet event orders.*
- Prepare prep lists for each event in accordance with BEO in order for banquet cooks to understand and carry out the plan. Confirm accurate counts on banquets and check on food production and amounts.*
- Supervise the cleaning and sanitation of work stations. Ensure staff are properly trained on cleaning and sanitation practices.*
- Regularly attend management meetings regarding banquets and events to discuss planning and execution.*
- Operate kitchen equipment safely and according to manufacturers’ instructions.*
- Monitor safety and sanitary practices and ensure adherence at all times for the safety of guests and employees. Demonstrate and enforce proper food handling, preparation, and storage methods at all times.*
- Maintain equipment in good working order and submit regular service repair requests.*
- Maintain a clean appearance and be friendly and courteous to guests in the dining room.*
- Coordinate food orders, direct supplies, smallwares, and other needed orders to ensure no disruption to our business and guest experience.*
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- Must be 18 years of age or older.
- Must have a minimum of 3 years of related experience
- Must have a minimum of 2 years supervisory experience
- Must have a high school diploma or GED
- Three (3) years of relevant work experience can be substituted for education
- Must have a valid Drivers' License
- Associate’s degree, preferred
- American Culinary Federations Certification, Preferred
- Must be able to have or obtain Managers Serv Safe Certificate
- Must have prior experience in Food & Beverage and Hospitality/Tourism
- Must have strong communication and interpersonal skills
- Must be proficient working with details on a daily basis for prolonged periods of time.
- Must have experience in weekly forecasting of production schedules, ordering, organizing and executing multiple large banquets and offsite events simultaneously for a high volume hotel, club, or catering company
- Must have leadership skills in order to provide coaching and counseling to team members
- Must be able to utilize computer systems
- Must have ability to create alignment, unified thinking and common purpose among team members
- Must have prior experience in menu development for fine dining, wine tasting, buffet, action stations, breakfasts, lunches, dinners and hors d'oeuvres receptions.
- Must be able to work schedule based on the operational needs of the restaurant, which will include mornings, evenings, weekends, and holidays
Physical Demands & Working Conditions
- This job requires minimal visual requirements. Able to distinguish unlike items, detect motion, and distinguish color.
- This job requires a good sense of vision (either corrected or uncorrected). Visual ability to operate moving equipment such as a car, truck, golf carts, etc.
- This job requires the visual ability to view work at distances of approximately 5 feet (operation and adjustment of machinery).
- This job requires the visual ability to perform detailed work at close distances (computer screens, accounting ledgers, using measurement devices).
- This job regularly requires verbal communication of detailed information to others either by phone or in person.
- Must be able to speak and read the English language.
- Substantial movements (motions) of the wrists, hands, and/or fingers (Repetitive motion).
- The position is subject to atmospheric conditions. One or more of the following conditions that affect the respiratory system of the skin: fumes, odors, dust, mists, gases, or poor ventilation.
- The position is subject to hazards. Includes a variety of physical conditions, such as proximity to moving mechanical parts, moving vehicles, electrical current, working on scaffolding and high places, exposure to high heat or exposure to chemicals.
- The position is subject to noise. There is sufficient noise to cause the worker to shout in order to be heard above ambient noise level.
- The position is subject to both environmental conditions. Activities occur inside and outside.
- The position is subject to environmental conditions. Protection from weather conditions but not necessarily from temperature changes.
- While performing the duties of this job, the employee is required to:
- Reaching Forward Constant (>67%)
- Climbing Stairs Frequent (34-66%) (ft maximum height)
- Lifting Constant (>67%) (50lbs maximum weight)
- Reaching Overhead Constant (>67%)
- Finger Dexterity Constant (>67%)
- Hand/Eye Coordination Constant (>67%)
- Stooping Frequent (34-66%)
- Bending Frequent (34-66%)
- Sitting Occasional (<33%)
- Standing Constant (>67%)
- Walking Constant (>67%)
Nothing in this job description restricts management’s right to assign or reassign duties and responsibilities to this job at any time.
Hershey Entertainment & Resorts is an Equal Opportunity Employer